Two Little Love Bugs

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Remembering Old Friends

So I was looking at my friend April's blog, and saw this post. I remember Brooke from my middle and high school years in Cali. It continues to amaze me the people we lost at such a young age! I am forever grateful for the blessings I have, the friends I have made, and those I am able to keep in touch with! To all my friends, thank you for all the memories, and I LOVE YOU!

Here's the story:

Thad Stavn, left, and Brooke Colvin are shown in images posted to a photo-sharing Web site. They were climbing on Mount Hood Wednesday when falling ice hit them, and Colvin was killed.
Story Published: Jan 21, 2009 at 4:03 PM PST
Story Updated: Jan 21, 2009 at 7:33 PM PST
By Brian Barker and Staff

MOUNT HOOD, Ore. - A 31-year-old Portland woman was hit by a large chunk of falling ice while climbing with her husband on Mount Hood and was killed Wednesday, authorities said.
The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office identified the woman as Brooke Colvin.
Colvin was climbing with her husband, 33-year-old Thad Stavn of Portland, in an area known as the Hogsback on the south side of the mountain when she was hit by ice sometime before 10 a.m., according to Detective Jim Strovink, a Clackamas County Sheriff's Office spokesman.
Her husband saw her fall about 400 feet after getting hit with the ice chunk, Strovink said.
Stavn apparently climbed down to his wife's location and gave her first aid for about 45 minutes to an hour before deciding she could not be revived, Strovink said. He also called 911 from a cell phone.
Authorities believe she died instantly.
The man eventually skied down to Timberline Lodge, where search and rescue crews had assembled along with an Oregon Army National Guard blackhawk helicopter. Ground crews planned to head up the mountain Wednesday afternoon to retrieve the body.
Information posted on a Web site said the couple was married in September 2007.
Strovink said there has been a considerable amount of falling ice in the area where they were climbing, which is along the main south side route to the summit.
In fact, some climbers this week have reported dodging refrigerator-sized chunks of ice as conditions on the mountain have been warmer than normal.
This was the second time in the past week that falling ice has injured a climber near the summit on Mount Hood.
On Saturday, an national guard helicopter retrieved 45-year-old Michael Leming of Portland after he broke an ankle and suffered other injuries after falling 200 feet near the summit when hit by falling ice.


Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm so sorry Becka. That is a tragic accident. I love the reminder to shout out to friends and loved ones that you gave in the opening paragraph.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Monkeys ARDently In Sinc said...

To be honest, I haven't seen her since 1994, so it's been a while since I moved away. But I still remember her, and her great spirit. She was ALWAYS smiling, like she was in the picture. I would never had known, if my friend April hadn't blogged about it.
Thank you, Jane, for being such a good friend!

Mindy said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. When I hear of these stories it makes me think that Life if short and I need to take advantage of every day.

The Petersons said...

Geez, how sad! I guess you never know, do ya?